Wednesday 26 September 2007

A long procastinated thought on Nurin

Dear Nurin,

You know, its very hard for me to ignore the fact that you were used, abused, and only God knows what possible horrors that you've had to go through. Its been quite some time, and now everyone wants blood.

I sit in front of my computer screen, would this be the best move? I had may questions, Nurin. Many.

I am a self styled scholar. I'm still studying you see. We are asked to study many things, and in return we're asked to contribute what we've learnt back to the communities. Just like that. Sounds simple, no?

But then again, I gave a thought of myself being a father (I'm a godfather of 2 children, and more to come, really.) I can't bear to think the possibility of what had happened to you to happen to my two godchildren. I just can't. Its too horrifying. Then again, I thought. I don't think its ever good to glorify the past.

But then, what can we do? You're already in the next world. I hope that God will always have you protected there. You deserve many things like other children. You certainly do.

But people want blood now. And they sing, and they chant, and they do many things. I am helpless but to think should I just send your parents my condolences, or in time just sit here and wait for the news of (hopefully) the capture of your tormentor. Vigilante. A possibility.

In time, the story will wind down, as all national stories will, well within 30 days (You know, there's something called the 30-day-story-theory" in Malaysia?) before the memories of you (at least in the press) gets chucked away under the carpet, or God knows where.

***Continued after a long physical break***

It has been weeks now, and the community still cry for the blood of your tormentor. I am amazed, that the fervour still appeals to people. They want justice, they demand it now. I just hope that in the frenzy, the REAL perpetrator, the REAL culprit will be caught. And let it be that (we pray) this will teach everyone involved directly or indirectly a lesson; crime doesn't pay.

And while the country watches, I pray for the progress of your soul in the next world. God be with you always, Nurin.

No comments: