Sunday 9 September 2007

A visit to IIUM (UIAM)

International Islamic University Malaysia, also known as Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia.

I was there, and I came back. And it was an eye opening experience.

The university is funded by many wealthy individuals, as well as from the OIC (Organization of Islamic Countries). Pretty cool, huh? Wait till you get inside the whole area, and be amazed at what a medium sized university like them can offer.

My first blog post written on this subject was somewhat botched, and I lost a precious 30 minutes on SUNDAY AFTERNOON and RM1.30 for the internet access charges (in a cyber cafe) and also another RM2.00 for a bottle of 'kickapoo joy juice'. Yeah, that sucks.

But here's a story. A story about an university situated in the secluded, on the edge of the hustle and bustle of city life, surrounded by the great gigantic limestone hills flanked by the Titiwangsa Range (and a superb view of Genting Highlands resort). One of the best locally available panoramic views, I admit.

On a sidenote, it was true that things were lost on me when I had to endure quite a trouble to make sure that many of us will go to UIAM. Suffice to say, we went through all the obstacles, miracles happening one after another. It was a well paid for trip. For a total of no more than RM2000.00. Yeah. So many thanks to our co-sponsors, and the hosts UIAM (because they bore the brunt of the costs involved indirectly). A worth-every-cent-I-may-have-paid-for 3 day adventure and seclusion in UIAM.

First and foremost, when you're making your way into UIAM, one of the very first images that greets you would be the "Grand Staircase" of UIAM. Yes, a grand staircase, preceded only by the beautiful fountain arc. And's there more to it. The architectural designs of the entire building is very unique - The main complexes were built in with modern and contemporary designs, fused / having tinges of turkish touches. (Turkish designs were once heralded as the epoch of Islamic architectural designs) The buildings remind me of Haga Sophia and the Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Turkey. Some may disagree, but I still stand to my opinion for the time being (it was my first impression, after all) about UIAM's architecture.

And that, was only the icing on the cake.

The mahallah-s (note the term is in arabic, but i added the suffix s to provide the english equivalent of a plural noun) that are provided are nothing short of full worth of praises as well. The boys are living in one of the "worst" available mahallahs, but they were superb and wonderful. ANd I do not have the pictures to show it, but if I do, I will (still waiting for Shima & gang to provide the pixxies of their beautiful girls' side). Nevertheless, they're still wonderful. One dorm, 4 cubicles, 1 main hall, and, wait till the pictures come, and then you'll see how good it is...I will edit this paragraph once I got the pixxies. Kekeke.

And its friggin cheaper than staying in UPM KK-Serumpun too!!! (ZOMG!) (Sob sob sob!)

anyways, back to the real thing.

TCW in UIAM was loads of fun. The theatre performance were all laughs and going "haha" here, just like old Mac Donald's farm. LOL.

The explorace was fun, even though our team got second but it was one of the most memorable one that I'll ever remember. Hey, its not everytime people get to do flying fox and abscaling in UIAM haha! weee!

Oh well, I really don't know how to say it, but I don't really wanna say it. I just don't know how to say it. UIAM, with everyone around, was really an enjoyable experience. The beef steak (YES! FOR ONLY RM5!), Kyros Kebab without any taxes (ROFLMAO!), and definitely one of the longest ever Roti John in my entire life, with an extra helping of potato wedges! Mwahahahaha!

And yeah.. Just like Reza said, one thing that she asked (forced! zomg! lolz) me to write is the fact that I'm enjoying myself right in the middle of a green garden surrounded by 50 lovely ladies. Oh, okay. Yeah. I really do enjoy working with them. Really (kekekekeke!) And boy, it was fun discussing some items on theology, I'm really impressed with the minds of the people around there. As a matter of fact, I'm really surprised to find out that a character by the name of Kak Sya (that's her short name) spent 3 years in Turkey deepening herself on the knowledge of religions (especially Islam), and yeah, you guess the next thing. LOL. *Salute!*

Still though, since now we may have the chance to meet each and every one from UIAM again, its going to be exciting. Hahaha.


And now, we wait. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, i just wanted to ask you about UIAM. I will be enrolling myself into UIAM in june and leaving my current college. I'm just wondering about the environment at UIAM. I know uve explained it in ur blog, plus it was a long time ago since uve been there but i just wanted a bit more info. How are the people there and how is the standard of education like from what u hv observed. I have been to their website as well as read articles on them but i just want an opinion of someone who has actually BEEN there u know? Yes u weren't there for a long time, but at least u know what it's like. So sorry if I am disturbing you and I am looking forward to ur reply. Thanks :D

DJoker Razgriz Gustav Beouwolf XIII said...

Hello Anonymous:

Its nice to hear from you. Well, like you say, I am definitely not in the best position to answer your question, but as far as I have observed, it does provide a very conducive environment for a almost ideal Islamic education. I speak this from observation. However, as you know, college politics and student life lapse on each other boundaries, and I'll say that I'm not enlightened on the situation about the college politics.

I had the impression that UIAM does provide a very nice environment for islamic socio-ideology support and growth. Now, my definition of islamic socio-ideology, and my idea about the entire environment may be flawed, I don't know. However, its up to you.

Best advice, expect the unexpected, but don't hope for anything but the least.

I'll love to correspond with you. Have fun, and God bless. If you wish, you can correspond with me, at my email. I think you can reach it easily. Please respond if you need to, and I'll do my best to help.

Anonymous said...

hey there
i an an ex student of iium. i'm glad that you enjoyed your exprience in iium. for me its like a rojak of cultures. Asian meets african meets eastern europe. we mostly get along well but of course there some bad apples among us. however, having said that, meeting people with different cultural background is sure an eyeopener. the locals and other asians are mostly laid back, while the african and the eastern european are mostly with their strong personality. the education part is ok i guess.
peace!